Jessa’s Vegetarian Goulash
Warning: Use of undefined constant font - assumed 'font' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /nfs/c10/h13/mnt/177573/domains/sustainablediets.com/html/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-facebook-plugins/all-in-one-facebook-plugins.php on line 45
This recipe was developed by my niece Jessa Bogart in 2011, a 20-something graduate student living in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She is an avid cook and calls herself a “foodie”. She has been following a Vegan diet for about a year. She says she feels much better and has more energy on a Vegan diet.
If you follow a Vegan diet you need to make sure to focus in on protein. You can get plenty of protein from plant foods such as tofu, tempe, legumes, nuts, and grains. Make sure to maintain diversity and balance in your diet. Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is often made from gluten, so if you are on a gluten-free diet you should stay away from TVP. If gluten is a problem for you, you may want to substitute a gluten-free tempeh or tofu into this recipe instead.
2 cups Textured Vegetable Protein
3 cups vegetable broth
3 Tablespoons ketchup (approx)
1 medium onion
2-3 stalks celery
3-4 cloves garlic
2-3 14.5 oz cans stewed or diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
salt and pepper
16 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
olive oil for cooking
- Sauté onions, garlic and celery in large pot until soft. Add spices (chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper) and sauté a few more minutes. Add vegetable broth, TVP and ketchup. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until most of the liquid has reduced and cooked off.
- After the sauce has been reduced (water cooked off) add the canned tomatoes and additional spices (to taste)… more paprika, salt, pepper. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and cook 5 more minutes.
- Cook macaroni noodles as directed on package… be careful to not over cook!
- Mix TVP mixture with drained macaroni noodles.
A Sustainable DietsTM recipe, developed by Teri Underwood, R.D., M.S., C.D.